Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day of the Dead Skull Ornament

Babysitting my run-about granddaughter means keeping very alert - nothing that takes away focus, nothing that can't be dropped instantly when needed.  She's at a lovely, but exhausting exploratory stage.  Fortunately, they still involve naps.

Before she came, I decided to prep a simple craft to keep my hands busy without involving a level of distraction that could be dangerous.  On whim, I decided I wanted to make a felt sugar skull for the Day of the Dead.

For years now, I've been meaning to buy a sugar mold to make the real thing - but there's never money or time when I'm thinking about it, so I wind up making other skulls instead.  One year, it was Rice Krispie Treat skulls.  This year.. it's felt.


I used a skull cookie cutter as a guide to cut out the skull shapes.  The hanger is some hemp twine and the stitching has just been 'doodled' casually throughout the day.  There are three buttons - two for eyes and a tiny one at the chin.  Since it was a whim, I didn't really plot out a design - I think I'd like to make more of these and work out the patterns a bit more, but I like how it came out anyway!  The felt is just stitched together with a blanket stitch - no turning it inside out.

Hailey liked coming over to watch the progress too - as soon as the teeth were put on, she started talking to it... "Raarrrrghhhh!" and the to me, "Oooooh!" and running away, only to come back a minute later to repeat the process.  I may have to make her one (minus buttons) - they'll go along with the skeleton beanie teddy I got her last Halloween!

Meanwhile, this one has found a spot on the tree, and looks quite dapper if I do say so myself!

(shared with Lucky Linky Tuesday, Welcome WednesdayWe Did It! Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Show and Tell Wednesday, and Hoo's Got Talent Wednesday)

No comments:

Post a Comment