Saturday, July 9, 2011

Unpacking in Earnest - Day 2

Yesterday - Day 2 - was not a good day.  Ever feel like, quite against your will, you are a destruction magnet... Godzilla smashing the city, and maybe it's just best to sit down quietly somewhere before you cause more mayhem?

That was me.  I happily went to work on the China cabinet... once I get things put away there, that frees up a lot of space for other things.  My positive attitude lasted about 5 minutes.  I laid out the serving pieces that would set upright to the rear, making sure they were in the little grooves in the glass shelves so there would be no sliding (I've done it this way for 10 years, in three different homes before this one - I know it works! Darn it!).

The big turkey platter.... the three sectioned snack platter... the long bread tray....   I went to pick up the round serving platter when...

CCCRRRRRAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHH!!!!


Both glass shelves, and the serving pieces I'd already placed came down in a sound you NEVER want to hear that close to your fingers and toes and other assorted body parts are.  I was standing right next to where those huge lethal pieces on the floor are, but managed to not get cut.   And by some miracle, only the turkey platter actually broke.

But this scared the hell out of me and I had to go sit down for a bit and just contemplate how much it was going to take to clean this up without stabbing myself (or letting any glass bits stay on the floor where Sadie Beagle could get to them), and then...how likely it was I EVER risk putting anything on the remaining two glass shelves.

So my afternoon was all about carefully picking through those glass bits in the cabinet so they wouldn't avalanche down and shatter into more bits, vacuuming (and then NOT vacuuming when a bit got in there and rattled around in a loud and terrible way - I waited on Michael to take care of that), and just generally shaking my head over the whole thing.

Then, just for fun, I overcooked a batch of pasta, which I can normally do in my sleep, but this was a day for everything simple to be Too Hard, and about mid afternoon, I decided it was time to take a couple hours off before I managed to completely destroy the house. Erk.

We've decided to get some wood shelving for the china cabinet, and paint them black to match the upholstery on the chairs.  If they come down again - and here's hoping they don't - I would rather it not bear any resemblence to a half dozen gory horror movies I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment