Monday, November 1, 2010

What's Cookin' This Week - 11/1 - 11/6

After two trips to the dentist, it's going to be another week and a half (at least - if nothing goes wrong) before I can eat normally again, and I really need to make some adjustments to what I'm doing, because I feel weary, very run down and I know I'm not getting enough calories.  I'm hungry, but with no real appetite for anything I can eat (but oh, the longing I have for everything I can't!)

It's also some bad parenting to have Deanna fending for herself because I'm just not cooking much.  She's got drama rehearsals all week, and coming home to grab something fast isn't really doing much for her well-being either.

So here's a stab at a bit more of a real menu... I chose things that seemed appealing, and that could be mashed or pureed without forcing Deanna to eat the way I need to.  It's not perfect, but hopefully it will be better than I've done last week.

Adding to the challenge, I have to pretty much entirely confine this week to what's in the house - after paying the blls that come due over this next couple of weeks, I'm down to vapor financial. It's a good news/bad news thing - I'd stocked my larders well before my dental mishap happened, but unfortunately, most of it is not anything I can eat right now.

Ah well, it's the challenges that keep life interesting, right?

Here is the plan:

Monday - Meatless
Mark Bittman's Winter Squash Curry (use acorn squash, sweet potatoes, and cauliflower)

(we had vegetable curry, but I couldn't use this recipe as I was lacking coconut milk - so instead I used a Golden Curry brick.  Deanna loves that stuff, so she was happy that I wasn't about to mess with her beloved curry.  I'll try Bittman's version another time.  I'm happy too, right now - it felt like a meal even without rice or flatbread.)

Tuesday 
Chorizo, Egg and Potato Hash with Cheese


Wednesday - Cook's Night Off
fend for selves

Thursday
Lentil Soup (from freezer)


Friday - Slow Cooker
Slow Cooker Enchiladas

Saturday - Leftovers
Leftovers

Sunday - Soup and Sandwich
Tomato Soup
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches


Also have on hand:

Fresh fruit (to eat out of hand for Deanna, for smoothies for me)
Salad bar fixings in fridge for Deanna
Grits and cheese
Cream of wheat
Oatmeal
Canned soups
Cottage Cheese
etc.


(find more menu plans at Menu Plan Monday)

No comments:

Post a Comment