Monday, November 1, 2010

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 1

This is a personal challenge I'm setting myself - though I expect there are others out there doing similar.  I want to note something every day that I am grateful for.

Today's actually a good time to begin this - I've had an arthritis flare coming on for the last couple days (yes! messing up my Samhaim/Halloween intentions) that has me tired and down, money is so past tight that it squeaks, and I'm just having an all round hard time staying motivated.   So deliberately committing to finding the good in every day is not only something I 'should' do - it's what may help me from sliding into an RA-induced depressive bit of apathy.

I am thankful for my family.

For Day One, I have to say I am so grateful for each one of my daughters, my sons in law, and my wonderful grandchildren.  The growing tribe composed of those in the generation that follows mine is now bigger than my entire family of my generation and that of my parent's era.

Each one of my daughters is growing into their own unique spirits, and as they are now nearly all adults, I breathe so much easier than I did when it was wall to wall teenagers.  They turned out fine.  They didn't 'ruin their lives'.  They are good and kind and thoughtful, and not a one of them is easily pushed around.

They absolutely do NOT agree with me about everything - and that is exactly what I want for them.. their own minds and hearts and the courage to live as the people they are.

I am grateful for my grandchildren who are happy and energetic and will provide me with a million smiles as they grow (and yes, more than a few giggles as their parents experience the 'mother's curse' of getting to parent kids just like them).

No matter what - good times or bad - my family reminds me that life is very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment