Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sweet Potato and Peach Cashew Casserole

There are no pictures (because I've not made it yet this year), but I wanted to put up a couple Thanksgiving recipes early enough for someone to filter them into their Thanksgiving menu, should they decide to do so.  I am not a fan of the marshmallow topped sweet potatoes - in my opinion, the marshmallow just doesn't play well with the other food on the plate (I don't want marshmallow on my turkey or stuffing!).  So the very first Thanksgiving that I got to choose the menu for, I went looking for an alternative I'd enjoy more.

I don't lay any claim to this recipe other than that I've been making it for the past 26 years - I originally found a version of it in BH&G's Treasury of Christmas Crafts and Foods  (1980) and I'm pretty sure it was there because it's traditional comfort food.

I notice it's now all over the Internet - both in its original form (using canned sweet potatoes and canned peaches), and with healthier mods like I've done.  Other than the brown sugar, this is really a very healthy offering, and while I'm not going to mess with the altering the recipe this Thanksgiving, next year I'm going to try switching it out for maple syrup (not that it's healthier, I just think it might be an interesting taste switch). The butter, of course, can be switched out for margarine or butter spread or whatever works for you. 

Sweet Potato and Peach Cashew Casserole

Serves 6-8

6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
16 oz frozen peach slices, thawed
1/4 c. Brown sugar, packed
1/2 t. Ground ginger
1/2 t. Ginger nibs (if you have them - if not, increase ground ginger slightly)
2 T. Butter
1/2 c. Cashews (whole or chopped, as desired)


In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, ground ginger, ginger nibs and cashews.

Using a 9x11" glass baking dish, layer half the sweet potatoes, and then half the peach slices.  Top wih half the cashew-brown sugar mix.  Repeat layers and dot with butter.

Bake at 350F for 45 minutes, covered, then uncover and cook for another 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.

Gently stir to spoon sauce over the potatoes and peaches and serve.

Variation - if desired, a few dried or fresh cranberries can be layered in with the rest of the casserole for additional color and flavor.

Shared with Get Your Craft On Tuesday, Lucky Linky Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment