Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Yule Tidings!

I had half a thought last night to stay up and view the Solstice lunar eclipse, but I was so tired it felt like my muscles were vibrating and I'm pretty sure the cloud cover would have been too thick....so I slept well right through it.

I got done with the last of my candymaking yesterday - a few items went undone (and will stay undone, as I am finished), but there was still plenty for Deanna and I to pass around to everyone we intended and still have a nice stash left over for the two of us to nibble on.

One last recipe I didn't share - 3 Musketeers style bon bons.  They turned out a bit more chocolately at the center, but that is totally a good thing.  Very rich and delicious!

Three Musketeers

2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tbsp water
1 1/4 cups marshmallow cream
1 pound chocolate candy coating

Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

Place the chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until the chips are melted, stirring after every 45 seconds to prevent overheating. (Or, melt slowly in the top of a double boiler over boiling water.)

Once the chips are melted, add the marshmallow cream and the water and stir until the mixture is smooth.

Pour it into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Place the pan in the refrigerator to chill the mixture thoroughly, at least 4 hours or overnight.

Once the chocolate nougat is completely set and firm, prepare the chocolate for dipping. Place the chocolate candy coating in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave it until melted, stirring after every minute to prevent overheating. Stir the melted chocolate and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes to cool it slightly. (Or, again, melt slowly in the top of a double boiler.)

While the chocolate is cooling, remove the candy from the refrigerator, and pull up on the foil to lift the candy from the pan. Using a sharp knife, cut the candy in half, then cut each half into five pieces, for a total of 10 candy bars.  Alternatively, cut into 1" squares to make bite sized pieces.   Line a baking sheet with foil or waxed paper and set it nearby.

Using two forks or dipping tools, submerge one bar in the melted chocolate. Remove the bar from the chocolate, allowing the excess chocolate to drip back down into the bowl. Place the dipped bar on the foil-lined sheet. Repeat the dipping with the remaining bars and chocolate. Place the bars in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to set the chocolate. Once set, the bars can be served immediately.

These freeze very well - let sit at room temperature to thaw before serving.

----

My other big push yesterday was the completion of Deanna's blanket - stitched, washed, dried, and wrapped and it only took me 17 and a half years!  Today I'm working on Michael's surprise and trying to get a bit of cleaning done.  There's something very quiet about this first official day of Winter, and I'm happily enveloping myself in the silence.

Lastly, I had two delightful bits of news regarding the generosity of bloggers - a collection of CDs arrived in the mail from Frugality is Free.  Included are four children's CDs that I will be distributing amongst my grandchildren.  The bits of heard are really fun - there are a couple folk music type CDs, one that teaches basic music concepts using a jazz theme, and one that is a collection of stories.

And then I got word that I'd won a wand topped with a ball that Aine at The Deepest Well was giving away - I can't tell you how happy this makes me.  When she'd first written about the the one she got for herself, it'd really intrigued me and I badly wanted one for myself - but she'd bought hers at a local shop so it didn't seem likely.  I can't wait until it arrives!

That's all for today - I am sleepy and going to stitch and watch old movies.  I hope your Yule is amazing -thanks to all of you for reading!


Shared with Made By You MondayMad Skills Monday, Santa's Gift Shoppe Bloghop, DIY Holiday Highlights, Homemaker MondayMarket Yourself Monday, Your Making Do Monday, Made With Love Monday, Follow Me Monday, Tuesdays at the TableGet Your Craft On Tuesday, Show and Tell Wednesday, and Getting Crafty On Hump Day.

1 comment:

  1. Those bon bons look sooooo good! Hi, thanks for following me; I'm following you back. Happy Yule!

    ReplyDelete