Monday, December 6, 2010
I had such a hard time with this... they kept wanting to go crooked on the backing board (wasn't until the third time I thought to hold it steady with some pins... I am so bad and finishing ornaments!), but I really like the way they came out in the end!
I'd done the parents' ornament early on, using a neat pattern from For the Love of Cross Stitch, Nov 2001. It's worked on plastic canvas in two parts (each section is actually a square with four square corner tabs - the second one is only stitched in the tabs). The two pieces are hooked together by the tabs, and then I used red foam cut to cover the whole thing to back the ornament. The tabs are not glued down, so they turn up slightly like petals.
When I went to do the kid's ornaments I wanted to coordinate the first one, but not by direct copying - so I used red and green aida to match the colors of the first, along with a common size and checkerboard border, but then I personalized each one to the kid's preferences.
The pattern is Comedy Dog by Clair Compton, a free download from The Chart Shop. I changed the greys in the pattern to blues - and realized I'd gone off by a couple stitched in figuring out what size to make the border. Luckily, he looks just fine overlapping the border a wee bit on the bottom.
So, now I have two more finishes for Daughter #3, then to finish stitching, and make up Deanna's ornament... then a bit of stitching for Michael's family (needn't have those done til Christmas Eve, though), and Deanna's baby blanket to finish. It's all coming along!
(shared with Sunday Showcase Party, Amaze Me Monday, Making the World Cuter Monday, Craftastic Monday, Craft-O-Maniac Monday, Motivate Monday, Made By You Monday, Mad Skills Monday, Mixed Bag Monday, Making Monday Marvelous, DIY Project Parade, Homemaker Monday, Market Yourself Monday, and Your So Very Creative)