Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April's Theme-a-licious Stitcher Wrap Up

April's Theme-a-licious Theme was Amazon April: Dip your needle into the vast swath of fabric dedicated to your BIGGEST projects!  I'd identified four of my bigger WIP projects to work on, and confidently started out - but wound up only touching one of those four this month.

But I am still going to count this month a success, because I FINISHED that WIP after two years, and also made good progress on another piece and finished two (count 'em, two) ornaments.

Here is my big finish:

Quaker Sampler
(freebie - source unknown)
blue 28ct linen
variegated flosses (mostly DMC)

I came very close to not being able to finish it until I hiked back to a store to hunt for that last yellow/pink medallion's floss.  It became obvious I wasn't going to have enough to finish it as graphed - but it occurred to me  that I hadn't left a space to sign it, and I was pretty sure I had enough to do that. I was right, but barely - that snippet of floss is all that was left:

Whew! That was close!

The other project that occupied my attention was my mermaid project - this is titled "Midnight Dip" and was meant to be on black or navy fabric, and the fish are graphed as negative space (not filled in) - I am working it on sky blue Monaco, and decided to make the fish orange - it's different enough from the original intent that I'm tempted to do it again at some point as a matching nighttime motif (perhaps mirror imaged).  I have really enjoyed working on this:


Lastly, I completed two ornament sized bits of stitchery.  One was my seasonal ornament for the Ornament SAL:

Beltaine Fire
by Anne Orr & Lesley Clarke
18ct Aida, DMC floss
34 x 35 
 And the other is for the Theme-a-licious Ornament Challenge - to stich something with Santa or Elves:

Santa
Prairie Schooler 
(Book 172: Christmas Favorites)
Oatmeal Aida, 14ct
DMC floss


So, now it's time to turn to next month's plans!  I'm not fully planned out yet, but here's what I'm looking at doing:

In seasonal ornaments, I will be stitching something with a peacock - June is Juno's month, and the peacock is her bird.

The Theme-a-licious ornament challenge is to do something monochrome. It will be for Yule, but I haven't decide what I'll do yet - there are a few good possibilities!

The Theme-a-licious main challenge for May is:

"Monochrome May:  
Pick a color, any color, then stitch only on projects that contain that color for the month!"

My first thought was PURRRPLE, so I'm going to go with that, although I may cheat with the mermaid, too.

The WIPacalypse themes for May are:

Designer – Blackbird Designs, 
Style – Humor, 
Colors – Purple and Brown
Since I managed a WIP finish, I'm giving myself permission to start a monochrome PURPLE piece if I find one that appeals to me - so yay, new starts!  Maybe I'll look and see what Blackbird Designs has.

Looking through my stash, I can also work on these:

 Tree of Life
The Stitcherhood
(browns and purples)

Peacock
Theresa Wentzler
(browns and purples)

Hare Biscornu
(brown and purple)

ABCs
Lizzie Kate
(browns and purples)

As ever, we will see how this goes!






1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo!! Congratulations on finishing the Quaker piece. It looks great and I love your solution to running out of floss...you sure know how to cut it close, though! And congrats on both the ornaments. I love your mermaid piece; I had no idea you had altered the colors but I love what you did. I'm not a huge fan of orange, but I love the way the fish (I was about to type "goldfish") pop out.

    ReplyDelete