Friday, March 15, 2013

aLtEReD OZ - Taking Up My Pen

One of the most fun things in the world of blogging is OmaLinda's annual Celebrate Oz event.  I decided very late to join in this year (just a week ago), so I knew I'd have to keep my contribution small, and I had little idea of what exactly I was going to do.  The theme this year is Altered OZ - mashing up Oz with some other thing, and I was (am?) even less sure how I might do that.

It wasn't until yesterday - after trying on and discarding several ideas as simply not for me, or not doable in my time frame - that I dragged out my drawing pad and decided to see what might happen.

Other than my foray into doodles a couple days before, I haven't drawn in years and years - it was something that mattered to me hugely as a child and young adult, but then being 'grown up' took over and I mostly stopped... and then I really grew up, and realized I shouldn't have and by then my hands had started hurting and I got frustrated with it and put it behind me.

I don't know why I suddenly seem able to again, but I'll take it!

Oz was actually the reason for my original love of drawing - as a kid and young adolescent, I saved up my allowance each month to buy another book in Baum's Oz series until I had the entire collection.  I loved the stories, but what really grabbed me were the illustrations by John R. Neill.  It was the first time I realized that 'illustrator' was something people could do, and it's what I wanted to do. I didn't waver on that until I was in my 20s.

So, yesterday, I sat down with my pad, thinking about Oz and Neill's drawings and how much I loved that iconic Oz logo, with the O and Z interlocking, and also about those Zentangle patterns I'd just been playing with, and this I drew that logo - with a tree bark Z for the forests of Oz, and a jewel encrusted O for the opulence of Emerald City.



(I also messed up on an idea that didn't work in the background inside the letters.... so I cut that part out. There's your 'altered' part, I'm afraid)


I'm also realizing it isn't finished - now that I inserted a bit of 3-dimensionality by cutting it, it really begs to have something meaningfully done with what it peeks into, and I need some time to mull just what that might be.  Actually - how about this:  leave me some ideas in comments about what ought to go behind this.  I'll pick one of them (or none and go with something of my own choosing), but everyone who gives me a suggestion will go in the running for getting  a small giveaway as a thank you.

The giveaway will be for either a copy of this piece, or a smaller art card sized original OZ logo drawing (let me know which you'd prefer) - I'll pick one of you at random on Saturday, March 23.

I'm really excited by this - I think it's opened me up to drawing again (so that's the other thing altered - me!).  Oz has always been magical that way, hasn't it?

Go see what everyone else is up to!

24 comments:

  1. Love your Oz penwork, lovely! Happy Altered OZ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! You only started this yesterday??? It is phenomenal!!!! :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the not-done stuff I didn't do yesterday can attest to it..haha! It was great fun to take a day off for play.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Gina!! amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in agreement with Kim and Gina. This is truly beautiful! I'm afraid that I'm still suffering from no imagination so I have nothing to offer for what you should do with the cut-out. Happy Altered Oz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No ideas here yet, either. lol.. but all replies will be in the mix for the giveaway. Thanks so much for for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. Ms. Lynda: this is fabulous....not only your drawing which is on it's own a winner but the thought that you were sparked back into drawing because of Oz??????? I am so moved by this. There are others of us out here who have clinged to the Oz of our childhoods because it was our only safety and where children could win. And now you give me a gift of the heart with getting your groove back as an artist and I am soaring higher than any hot air balloon adventure over the lands of Oz.
    You not only did Oz proud but you made an olde broad tear up.
    Smooches and Squoozes, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you know how *often* you are my muse and mentor, dear Oma Linda - I suspect that is true for many people! OXO!

      Sadly (and I understand it as a parent, while trying to avoid it), my folks saw drawing as a childish thing to be put away in favor of the practical - a rather Ozian story in its own way, no?

      Delete
  6. That is absolutely awesome! I'm afraid it's been a really long time since I read any of the Oz books (sadly, I have read Wicked more recently), so I don't have any great ideas for what should go in there. Of course, if you want a pop of color to complement the awesome black/white graphic you did, you could riff on the ruby slippers. I'd think about my favorite moment and try to capture it with an object...the balloon? A flying monkey? Heck, it even looks great just over that solid-colored background you photographed it against.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some good ideas! It is rather like a window into...whatever!

      Delete
  7. I love it! For me I would stitch a Dorothy onto perforated paper and have her peeking out from behind the letters. Since it's a mash-up I might have Alice there too and maybe a Cheshire Cat for Toto to bark at!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! LOVE your zentangled artwork!! I'm afraid, frankly, to suggest anything, but would love to see what you do from here. Funny, I guess??.. since you're thinking out bigger plans; but I think I would frame it just like it is!... Nice meeting you via Celebrate Oz! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the entangled aspect of your letters. The detail is wonderful.

    So many ideas...you could go with a mirror type finish, we all reflect back on Oz in our individual ways. Whatever you decide, it's going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunningly detailed Oz Alteration you have created!!! Brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, definitely resume drawing -- you're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynda...I am the same as you..I also searched for the Oz books when I was young. I'll never forget needing "The Purple Prince of Oz"... The one book I lacked. When I was going for a walk, during a work lunch break, what did I see in an Antique Shop Window???? YES!!!! The Purple Prince!!!It was pure Magic!!! And speaking of Magic, I think that's what you need behind your OZ Emblem. You have the Forest and the Emerald City..but how about The MAGIC of Oz? And who or what would symbolize this for you? Ozma, who wears the emblem on her forehead..or Glinda? Or somthing else?? I too LOVE the OZ Symbol! When I was 19 years old, I had a jeweler friend make me a silver OZ ring with the symbol..I have it to this day! I LOVE LOVE your drawing and would cherish it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to see the finished work, the colors... I bet it will be wonderful. It already looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Lynda, this is so gorgeous! You have such a talent it would be a shame to put your pen and paper down ever again. Happy Oz, Mina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you drew that! I can't draw to save my life and am in aw at all those who can. It is gorgious.

    Ideas: I know this may sound crazy and be too complicated but since this is for altered Oz and there are a bunch of Oz books/characters why not creating a character that has bits and pieces from a bunch of other characters. For example the lions tail, Porceil people face, the wheelies legs, Tick tocks body, etc etc...

    But I love it just as is.
    Sorry it took me so long to come and visit I have been ill. I love what you have done.

    Hugs
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete