Friday, February 15, 2013

Theme-a-licious Figural February Mid-month Check In

It's Geek To Me is hosting a year long themed cross-stitch project called Theme-a-licious, with a different challenge each month, as well as a different mini-challenge ornament subject.  My RA hadn't yet let up enough to participate in January, so this is my first month playing along.

February's challenge is Figural February: "Who are the people in your neighborhood...your WIP neighborhood, that is? Give your people-populated projects some face time this month."

I have no shortage of long-neglected WIPs (works in progress), but not many of t hem actually have people in them - I started rooting through my WIP bag(s), until I came across this one:


A few of these stitches are new, but this is pretty much where I left things off several months ago.  This is The Stitcherhood's "Midnight Dip" being worked on some light blue 28ct Monoco (because my Midnight Dip has turned into a High Noon Dip), using DMC colors as listed, with the only other change being that I decided to stitch in the fish using variagated orange floss (DMC 106) instead of leaving them as unstitched silhouettes.  I'll be focusing on this through the second half of the month, and I hope I get a good ways into being done with it.

The ornament challenge was to make something featuring snowmen or snow-women.  My choice was a 2008 freebie (I don't think it's available anymore) from Midnight Stitching called Snowman's Quaker Christmas.  This was done on a pale blue 28ct linen (it was a scrap, so I don't know the brand), and instead of using the called for Gentle Arts threads, I used a variagated green floss (from Threadworx, but I've lost the wrap!), and DMC floss for the remainder.  The white snowman's head was disappearing into the background, so I elected to backstitch outline it.


So that's one ornament down for next Christmas!

Shared with Theme-a-licious Figural February Check-In.

4 comments:

  1. I love the Noon-time Dip :) and your ornie. Congrats on your progress. You have inspired me to get back on the ornament bandwagon.-- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I've never seen that mermaid pattern before...it's really neat! I like the orange fishies. Congratulations on finishing your ornament already...he's too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stitcherhood is just about my favorite desigher - very unique subjects and a strong style. And you get the patterns as downloadable .pdfs, sooo... instant gratification! lol

      Delete
  3. "Midnight Dip" is pretty cool. I like your addition of the orange fish. They really pop against the blue.

    ReplyDelete